CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Steamed Tilapia --- My Children’s Fav


Steamed tilapia is the easiest dish to prepare. It is healthy and a sure winner with kids. My two kids love it! It’s especially good with steamed rice. The ingredients are not fussy and cooking is a piece of cake. I can cook it during weekdays too.


Ingredients:

1 whole Tilapia cleaned
½ cup soy sauce (if you save a special soy sauce, feel free to use it)
2 stalks spring onions cut in whatever cut you like…experiment!
thumb size ginger julianed
1 tsp sesame oil (ordinary vegetable or canola oil would do too)


Cooking direction:

I. Steaming the Tilapia

Place enough water in a large wok and put in any spice you have in your pantry that will be good to cover the fishy smell. I used a sprig of rosemary and two slices of lemon. I used my large wok but if a steamer is available, it would definitely do.




Now, for the Tilapia fish. I made a couple of cuts on each side of the fish so it would cook faster. I also placed a slice of lemon inside the fish cavity. I placed the fish on aluminum foil that is slightly oiled with sesame oil (not necessarily sesame, any oil will do). This will prevent the fish’s skin to stick on the foil. I did not put any salt on the fish at this time because the sauce that I will be preparing will be enough to provide the needed flavor. Let the fish cook in steam for about 30 to 45 minutes. Make sure you have a tight cover for the wok. The steamer is already set up for a good steam temperature so it won’t be a problem.


II. Preparing the sauce

In a sauce pan, combine the soy sauce, half the onion spring, the julianed ginger and the sesame oil. You may add water if you needed to lessen the saltiness of the soy sauce. Boil the mixture just enough to combine all the flavors. Set aside and keep warm


III. Presentation

When the fish is cooked (if the fish flaked easily), transfer to a serving platter. Pour the prepared sauce over the fish and place the rest of the spring onion on top. Best serve hot.



Happy eating!

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ay ang sarap naman! The photos made me so hungry!

EM said...

Thanks Juleste! Do try cooking it. You'll not be disappointed. Guaranteed!

have a good day!